I had a free evening!
Recently I was shown a fantastic aurora effect and I wanted to take a shot at replicating its look from scratch. It turned out to be relatively simple:
- Create a Quad in your favourite 3D tool
- Subdivide that quad along one axis
- Randomly pull vertexes along one axis
- UV wrap
- Bring the model into Unity
- Create a two-sided shader with alpha, two textures of noise that overlap to create colour
- Cycle the UV’s on a noise image to get the colours showing at “random”
- Bloom + Motion blur effects on the camera!
Here’s the results, please forgive the super-low poly model, it was my first attempt at making a car.